Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Had a very,very busy and thoroughly exhausting last few days, and I'm exhausted so this is going to be short. I'm putting up a ton of photos tonight and a few random thoughts, then I'll elaborate when I get time. Also wanted to let you guys know you can leave comments to the posts if you have questions or anything, and I'll try to get to them. Just as a head's up. Anyway...

1. Tourists are weird. I've seen people taking photos of the most pointless things. I've seen Chinese people pose for photos in front of stalls that sell the cheapest, shittiest, tackiest chinese souvenirs you can think of (and I mean full on smiling, not ironically while trying to be funny), I saw what I have to assume was an American teenager literally going through a museum taking pictures of everything while taking the time to look at or read nothing, and I've seen so many people dragging their ipads around to use as a camera that it genuinely makes me angry now.

2. I have been caught in the rain every single day, but when it rains here it's so refreshing that I just let myself get drenched. You should see the looks I get when I get onto public transportation dripping wet though.

3. I've also been lost a solid 3 times here, mostly due to really, really bad directions from well meaning locals. One problem is that there's so much construction going on that bus stops you think should be there are nowhere to be found. So far it's always worked out though, because otherwise the public transport puts anywhere else to shame. You pay for the distance you go, everything is colour+number+letter coded, a child could use it, and it's everywhere. Makes getting lost a lot less of a pain.

I'll have more about the stuff I've actually done so far hopefully tomorrow to explain some of these pictures I'm putting up, but I had to toss these two on so Krista and Mike can get a solid giggle going at the office. No explanation required as long as they look hard enough. And yes, semi-pun intended.



4 comments:

  1. Yes we giggled!!Love the lion. I bet that was the first thing you saw too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha that was the first thing I seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, so I guess I am still alive!!! So happy to hear from you and your adventures!! It is good you never ask me for direction because I am the bigger loser( that doesn'T sounds good ) I meant if you ask me how to get to mall from my place you will be confused and I get lost everwhere!! That makes my life more interesting!! hey rain is good!! free shower and you don't have to share!! And I know what you mean about people taking totaly stupid pictures but then they are telling you who they are!! ha ha!! Stay alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva you'd be surprised at how easily I get lost all the time here. But since I've got all the time in the world I don't stress, I just walk around until I figure it out. It helps that taxis are way cheaper here too, so I have that as a backup, otherwise it would be much more stressful. But sometimes getting lost is really cool, like when I found a weird makeshift shrine with religious figurines from all the major religions in this weird cabinet surrounded by broken clocks. And it was under a bridge, looked like a hobo had made it. Thought I was going to get stabbed when I went to go take pictures haha.

    ReplyDelete